Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Summer Escape Introduction (Fiction)

I have decided to post a story that I've been working on here, in installments.  I welcome your feedback and ideas.  If you have story-line ideas, please post them here.



Summer Escape
As you lock the door to your apartment behind you, you take a deep breath in and slowly let it out.  A smile lingers on your lips.  Your vacation has begun.  Little do you know that after a week in Paradise your life will never be the same.
On the plane trip down to sunny Florida, your thoughts drift to what led you here.  Originally, you just wanted a low-key getaway, a nice, relaxing beach vacation.  When you mentioned going to the Florida Keys at the office, Sam got a funny look on his face and asked you to join him for drinks at the nearby sports bar after work.  Once settled in a quiet booth in the corner, sipping gin and tonic, I asked if he was familiar with the area.  He took a big gulp of his drink, looked at me as if wondering what (or how much) to say, and swallowed.
            
     He slowly began, “I’ve been there a few times.  Actually I know a really great resort in The Keys, I’m just not sure that it would be your cup of tea.  It certainly isn’t for everyone.”
            
     “What do you mean?” I asked, a little confused.
            
     “Well, it’s a great place, that is, if you’re looking for something… different.  It’s a BDSM colony.  I vacation there about once a year.”
            
     “BDSM?  You mean like whips and chains?”
            
     “I guess that may be how the public perceives it.  I’ve never had the same experience twice, but it’s always an incredible time, and I do keep going back.” 
            
     With that he scribbled a website down on a cocktail napkin and slid it across the table to me.  I stuck it in my pocket and forgot all about it until later that evening when I returned home.  I was a bit tipsy as I typed the website into my computer.  The website boasted three pools, breathtaking panoramic views of the clear blue ocean, a stable, dog shows, a full-service spa, and massage services.  The resort even had a five-star internationally acclaimed restaurant, along with casual dining amenities.  It looked like just the place to relax for a week and unwind from my high-stress job as a market analyst.  All I envisioned was wiggling my toes into the sand and feeling the warmth of the Florida sun on my skin.  What did Sam call this place?  A BDSM colony?  Whatever that is, it looks like these people know how to have a good time.  

     “What’s the harm?”  I thought as I booked a week at the Paradise Resort.  

     The automatic email response included a questionnaire inquiring as to my preferences for the itinerary.  There were many different yes or no questions that I answered, half-reading and quickly checking off yes or no boxes.  To be honest, I had had several drinks at the bar with Sam and I didn’t really understand most of what I was checking yes or no to.  The place looked to be of the highest echelon, what could go wrong?  So I casually finished the questionnaire and clicked on “send”.
            
     Now as I look out the window and see the crystal blue waters of the Atlantic ocean far beneath me, I try hard to remember what some of those questions were.  I had to admit that as the plane taxied down the runway, I was getting a little bit nervous, and I kinda liked it.  I have no idea what is in store for me as I depart the plane, but I guess I could use a little bit of adventure in my life.  What’s the worst that could go happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment